I am always surprised at the type of questions people ask online when they want gift ideas. They usually say something like “I need a gift for my nephew” or “What would a man a certain age like”. It is impossible to answer questions that are that broad. All nephews and men of a certain age will not be interested in the same things.
No wonder they find selecting a gift challenging.
Each of us can select perfect gifts if we pay attention to the desires of the people in our lives. Here are some truly useful tips that can ensure whatever you give will delight the person receiving it.
Start by thinking about what your intended gift recipient enjoys. For example:
- Are they into sports? Do they follow any particular teams?
- What are their hobbies?
- Where do they work?
- Do they travel?
- Do they collect anything specific?
- Are they currently fixing up their home?
- Do they like to read books or magazines?
Another great way to know what someone would simply love is to be observant:
- Listen – Many people verbally indicate what they would like to receive. Some even TELL US what they would really like to have.
- Believe – Do not discount what someone specifically asks for even if you don’t think it is a great gift idea!
- Observe – Watch what friends and family look at in magazines, on commercials, when driving around, or when out shopping.
While these may seem like simple ideas they can really make a difference. Here are a couple of real life examples where the above ideas were key to successful gift giving:
- Sam noticed that every time they picked up parts at Home Depot his co-worker would look at a particular wrench set. He even mentioned that “some day” he was going to buy it. The wrenches were inexpensive and he could have easily purchased them himself but he never did. (This is common.) Sam bought the wrench set for his friend’s birthday and he was thrilled. Even though they were inexpensive they were “just what he wanted” – and the giver (Sam) knew that in advance.
- A friend mentioned that they really wanted to try those Kinoki Detox Foot Pads. Even though the buyer thought that was a really strange gift idea she was wise enough to seize the opportunity to give something she knew I wanted. She even included a card with a strange looking cat holding a fish with a candle on it that read “Well, it seemed to make sense when I bought it. Anyway, Happy Birthday.” She added “Well this is a “strange” birthday present but it was what you wanted! Now that is a true friend.
How many times have you wished your family or significant other would give you what you specifically asked for instead of what THEY thought you should want? The key to giving the perfect gift is to give what the receiver wants to receive – not what you think they should like!
There is still time for you to give the best gift you’ve ever given by noticing what someone loves. We’ll be adding posts with specific gifts and also ideas for people with particular loves. Want some ideas for your specific challenge? Leave us a comment and we’ll write a post just for you!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Top Selling Holiday Gift Ideas Countdown (execgiftsblog.com)